Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Million Suns


"Godspeed was fueled by lies. Now it ruled by chaos. It has been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she see's the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision-no more Phydus no more lies.
But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to find out the truth about life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motions hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart."


Lately, I find myself gravitating to Dystopian YA fiction. There have been so many good books coming out lately in this genre, that it is quite refreshing to always have quite a bit of reading choices. It was in one of my many dystopian seeking jaunts, that I discovered Beth Revis's first novel, Across The Universe. I could not put down the book until I completely devoured it. I found it was absolutely riveting, and thought provoking in some ways. Imagine my happiness, when the sequel, A Million Suns became available. Of course, I wanted to know what happens with Amy and Elder, the two main characters in this series, while they travel to an Earth like planet on the ship Godspeed. Along with a large crew who was previously controlled by a drug, Phydus to help maintain the the necessities for our space traveler's survival. What happens when people have the ability to think for themselves, complete disarray and fear based rumors churning out of control, that's what.  Friends turn on one another, and everything is not quite what it seems in what seems to be in an atmosphere ripe with deceit and anarchy. The plot moves along and the story is still action based, but I have to say that compared to the original, this book did seem to be a little harder to read through and maintain your attention. After a few chapters, I'll say midway in the novel, there I was getting a deja vu feeling of whininess from some of the characters that began to grate on my nerves. I suppose this was a necessary element to keep the plot moving. Looking for a scapegoat to blame their unhappiness on, the focus of their anger was Amy, an earth born girl who not only looks different but was cryogenically frozen until she was awoken early by Elder. Can you love someone when you feel that you have no choice? What does it really mean to be a leader, and what can you do when everything you know and are familiar with is not as it seems. Can people really deal with changes in their surrounding and leaving everything they know behind? I will not ruin the story for you, but if you like mystery, a touch of romance, all contained within a dark cloud of impending doom, then this is the story will entertain you.  I still enjoyed the novel regardless of the few issues I personally had, and Beth Revis will take you on a futuristic trip where the possibilities are endless. When her final novel comes out for this trilogy, rest assured I'll be waiting in line to see what type of outcome the series will have. If you have a chance, go grab a copy and read it, you won't be let down with the continuing adventures of our dynamic twosome.


No comments:

Post a Comment